Bereavement, Grief, and Loss Counseling
Portland Lifestyle Counseling offers Bereavement, Grief, and Loss Counseling in Portland. Bereavement is grief over the death of a loved one and can affect us in many different ways.There is really no right or wrong way to grieve.
We can experience grief not only when there is physical death of a loved one but when we experience any ending. Endings may include:
- end of a relationship
- end of youth and the beginning of midlife
- the end of school
- a move to a new city or home
- end of a career or job
- plus many more
Loss is the experience of an absence of someone or something that was once a part of one’s life but is no longer present and/or available. Loss can be the result of a death of a loved one or can be the result of an ending of some kind. In any event, both bereavement and loss can naturally cause us feelings of pain, sadness, and grief. At times we may even experience many complicated emotions and begin to question existence itself, meaning of life, and purpose for living.
I offer counseling for bereavement, grief and loss for a number of issues such as: death of a loved one (bereavement), specialty counseling for grief and loss around midlife issues, women’s trauma issues and for breaking with dysfunctional families.
Are any of these grief questions true for you or someone you care about?
Do you find life less interesting now that your loved one has died?
Do you feel life has less meaning now that your loved one has died?
Are you avoiding friends and family due to feelings of sadness and grief since a loved one died or experiencing the loss of a job/career, divorce, youth, or some other ending?
Do you feel sad, despondent, or “blue” or depressed when you think about growing older and the loss of your youth?
Did you experience a traumatic event recently or in the past and are having feelings of grief and loss due to the event?
If you answered yes to most of these questions you may want to consider counseling for bereavement, grief, and loss.
It is normal to experience feelings of sadness, shock, loneliness, disbelief, anger, confusion and other emotions when someone close to you dies. It is also normal to experience feelings of grief when you experience a loss of something like a cherished career, relationship, phase of life, or some other event. But if you are concerned about how long you have been grieving, how the loss is affecting you, and if you fear that grief and/or bereavement are becoming a way of life then a counseling relationship may be useful in helping you begin the next chapter of your life.
Would you like to…
- Begin being more involved in life again.
- Reconnect to friends and family.
- Try a new interest or hobby.
- Meet new people.
- Feel supported and understood when you need to talk about your deceased loved one or the loss you are experiencing
- Feel more involved in activities again.
- Find ways of celebrating your love one’s life or another ending in your life without increasing your grief.
- Take better care of yourself
- Begin a new and exciting chapter in your life.
- Plus more
Changes in perspective and lifestyle often occur after someone close to you dies or when you have experienced some other loss or ending. But if you, your family, or friends are concerned about you or if you wonder if you will ever feel good again talking with a professional counselor can be helpful.
Counseling services for bereavement, grief and loss
During counseling for bereavement, grief, and loss I encourage you to:
- Process and explore issues from the past and present.
- Explore and express feelings in a safe way.
- Intentionally expose you via imagination to memories of the past trauma to being releasing you from the symptoms.
- Confront your issues, problems, and frustrations.
- Create solutions for change.
- Make behavior changes that you believe are doable and sustainable.
My counseling style is empathic, supportive and encouraging. I bring twenty plus years of professional helping experience and relevant life experiences that gives me perspective, depth, and healthy caring. All of my life experiences – personal and professional – are present when I sit down to meet with you as your therapist.
I seek clients who are committed to their counseling process, deeply moved to action by their emotional challenges, and exhibit a desire for change and better self understanding. Quick solutions, easy answers, and “get better quick” schemes are not utilized here. Instead you will find empathic counseling methods that include:
- Mindfulness Based Counseling
- Solution Focused interventions
- Psychodynamic Supportive practices
- Strengths based focus
- Empowerment based model of counseling
Distinctive and specialized approaches and practices include:
- Empathic and non-labelingapproach
- Holistic health and wellnessapproach
- Focus on social, cultural, and environmental issues that relate to your issues and concerns
- Uncovering and reconnecting with your Inner Knowing
- Use of SoulCollage®
Do you believe you can…
- Feel like you can get up and face the day without being stopped by feeling guilt, remorse, and intense sadness.
- Meet with friends a bit more often.
- Complete tasks and responsibilities even though you feel sad and grief stricken.
- Come up with ways of celebrating and honoring your loved one or the new chapter in your life.
- Move past feelings of grief associated with a traumatic event and embrace your life in the present.
If you answered yes to any of these then you are ready for counseling. I have 20 years experience working in mental health, crisis, trauma, and hospice. I have worked with people just like you: People who are experiencing grief due to bereavement and loss. If you believe you can move to a new chapter in your life but need a little help and support to do it, counseling for grief may be right for you.
Feeling ready to take a step outside of grief and loss?
If you or someone you care about are ready to meet the world again, feel greater connection, and find your new beginning contact M. Joy Young, LCSW at (503) 309-1163 . I am accepting new referrals and would welcome your call.
Payment options available via PayPal. Call before you purchase.
Please contact Joy about EAP coverage. If you know someone who is experiencing bereavement, grief and loss please share my information with them.