Holistic counseling for mind-body-spirit–community 503-309-1163
M. Joy Young, LCSW, CPC
Older Adult Counseling
If you are an older adult, are any of these true for you?
Do you feel sad, lonely and less interested in the things you use to enjoy?
Have you just experienced a significant life change like retirement, a move from a house you have owned for years, been diagnosed with a physically limiting issue, or suffered a recent loss of someone close to you?
Are you avoiding family and friends?
Are you struggling to care for a chronically ill spouse or disabled adult child?
Do you feel isolated or alienated from younger people and wonder what you might have to offer those younger than you?
Do you enjoy talking about your past but find that most people are not interested or don't have time to listen?
Do you feel worried, nervous, or jumpy more than you use to?
Are you cranky, irritable, or easily frustrated most of the time?
If any or all of these are true for you, you may be dealing with depression, anxiety, adjustment issues or complicated grief. These are common issues that can occur for people NO MATTER HOW OLD YOU ARE.
Older Adults and Counseling
Did you know that older adults generally under use counseling services?
- Perhaps you have thought about counseling help but were not sure how to get it?
- Maybe you experience counseling in your younger years, found it helpful but now feel that because you are older there is nothing a counselor could help you with?
- Have you ever thought, "I am probably too old" to change?
This is unfortunate. Growing older in America is not easy since our culture focuses almost exclusively on youth. As a result older adults are often not encouraged to get counseling support when emotionally needed and are instead told that these feelings ARE TO BE EXPECTED because of their age.
Benefits of Counseling for Older Adults
Individual Counseling for Older Adult may help you:
- Improve your ability to cope.
- Increase your ability to make life adjustments.
- Find deeper life meaning.
- Discover renewed purpose.
Counseling methods include solution focused, supportive and reminisce counseling. Medicare may cover cost for your counseling and home visits may also be available through Medicare.
As an Older Adult Would you like to...
- Meet new people of all ages?
- Feel a sense of life accomplishment and share your stories with others eager to hear what you have to say.
- Discover and try new interests.
- Feel more relaxed and centered in your life.
- Feel connected to friends, family and community life.
If you answered YES to most of these then I encourage you to begin a counseling relationship with a professional, trustworthy, and reliable counselor.
I have 20 years experience working in social services that includes working with older adults, hospice, caregiver supports, mental health, and senior services. And I have worked with people just like you: older adults who are interesting, caring, and have much to offer despite feelings of isolation, lonliness, or sadness and who could benefit from having a professional unbiased person to talk to.
Are you ready to make your counseling appointment?
The need for emotional support, growth, insight and understanding does not stop because we grow older. If you are an older adult and are ready to make counseling appointment please contact Joy at 503-309-1163 or email Joy at . Joy is accepting new referrals and would love to hear from you.